Frequently asked questions


My landlord / previous user receives the bills for my meter

Your move has not been registered in our database.

It is important to get things in order quickly.

As soon as you have the necessary information (meter reading, etc.), take the necessary steps yourself.

Do you already have a SWDE customer number? Go to your Customer Account

Not yet a SWDE customer? Fill in the online form

What to do in the event of death?

A family member has died and you need to take the necessary steps following their death. We are here to help you.

Have one of their bills and the current meter reading at the ready. Then call us on 087 / 87 87 87 and we will help you and take you through the necessary steps according to your particular situation.  

I want to check that my file is closed

At the time of any closure, whether you are a tenant or an owner, SWDE will send you a letter notifying you of the end of our collaboration.

Not received anything?

Go to your Customer Account, the closed account will still appear there for 90 days. As far as bills are concerned, check whether the closing bill is present.

No customer account? You can also make this request to our Customer Service department on 087 / 87 87 87.

What procedure should I follow to request the installation of a new connection, the installation of an additional meter or the modification of the existing connection?

For the installation of an additional meter or a modification of an existing connection, fill in this online form to request a quote. 

Quote for new connection

Quote for modification of existing connection

In the case of a new construction, you must follow two steps.


1. Requesting a new connection to the network 

This application must be submitted by the owner if and only if the construction of the building has started (the first walls of the ground floor are being put up). 

The work can be carried out as long as the building is closed to protect the installation and the meter.  

For more details on your request for a new connection.


2. Obtaining the CertIBEau certificate 

Since 1 June 2021, it is compulsory for all new homes for which a new connection is requested to have the certIBEau certificate. 

Your connection to the mains water supply will only be openedafter an authorised certifier has been and approved it. 

For more details on CertIBEau


If you have any problems, contact us.

What is the role of the water supply system in firefighting?

The fire brigade often uses the water supply system for fire fighting. They connect to hydrants or fire hydrants placed at regular intervals along the streets. 

The municipalities, not SWDE, are responsible for the proper functioning of the hydrants located on their territory.

If I notice a leak in the distribution network (in the street for example), what should I do?

We monitor and manage nearly 40,000 km of pipes that ensure the transport and flow of drinking water. Some technical problems may occur in these pipes, such as water leaks. These are sometimes visible. Water can therefore emerge from the ground and even find its way into your home. 

The only way to deal with this type of situation is to call us on 087 / 87 87 87

Our teams are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including public holidays, to locate and repair the most urgent leaks.

I am moving in/out. What are the formalities to go through with SWDE?

It is important to inform us of any changes in the occupancy of a building. 

If you leave, read the meter one last time in the presence of all parties involved so that the final bill can be issued. Access your Customer Account and complete the formalities in a few clicks. 

When you move in, water is already available. In order to quickly update your situation, access your Customer Account and complete the formalities in a few clicks.

More information: You are moving

I own a property and rent it out. What are my obligations?

If a tenant leaves a property with unpaid debts, the principle of “non-solidarity" prevails. This means that we will not hold you responsible for your tenant's debts IF AND ONLY IF, no later than 30 days after the change of occupation of the dwelling:  

  • you provide us with the identity of the outgoing and incoming occupants; 
  • you provide us with the meter reading; 
  • you have equipped each dwelling with an individual meter, in the case of apartment buildings; 
  • you have provided evidence that the condition of the installation is not the cause of any abnormally high consumption. 

If the building is unoccupied, the owner is liable for the costs of the fee and the consumption logged until a new occupant arrives.

See also:

Solidarity between landlord and tenant

What are the rights and obligations of SWDE and its customers?

SWDE and its customers each have rights and obligations regarding water supply. All of this is documented in the General water supply regulations.